Pickup Lines to Avoid


Have you ever been sitting at the bar and spot someone attractive a few seats away?  You want to approach the person and come off as cool and confident but can’t decide how to start the conversation.   This article will focus on what pickup lines NOT to use and how you can start a conversation off correctly.  I’ve gone ahead and listed several popular pickup lines that I recommend avoiding at ALL costs.
  • Great Legs, What Time Do They Open?
  • Hey girl, guess what? It’s your lucky day. Out of all the girls here, I picked you to talk to.
  •  Are those space pants? Because your ass is out of this world.
  • Is that a mirror in your pocket? Because I can see myself in your pants.
  •  Are you free tonight? or is it going cost me.
  • Can I have directions? "To where?" To your heart.
  •  I'll be Burger King and you be McDonald's. I'll have it my way, and you'll be lovin' it.
If you’re someone with some sense of humor (and you can tell that the other person has a good sense of humor) then these pickups lines may work as an ice breaker.  These will only work if used in a funny/fun type of way and there is still a large chance that you will be turned down.
  • Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk past again?
  •  Can I have your phone number? I seem to have lost mine.
  • Is your last name Gillette? Because you’re the best a man can get.
  • I don't know if you know this, but you look a lot like my next girlfriend
  • Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
  • You must be a heck of a thief 'cause you stole my heart from across the room.
  •  I'm sorry, were you talking to me? "No." Well then, please start.
  •  Is there a rainbow? Cause you're the treasure I've been searching for.
Of course the BESTway to meet new people is the old fashioned way.  Start with “hi” and introduce yourself.  Kick off the conversation with simple and non-personal questions until you’re both comfortable with talking to each other.  It’s always a bonus if you can learn something about the person from overhearing a previous conversation (without being creepy!).  If I heard someone mention that they hate their job to the bar tender I’d see that as a perfect opportunity to introduce myself and let them know that I overheard them and am curious as to why they hate their job and what they might want to do instead.  This shows that I’m interested and it breaks the ice.  I don’t recommend trying to give advice at this point, your job is to listen and support the person venting.  This also helps build a ‘connection’ between the two of you as you share personal experiences.

I recommend looking back at Just the Tips of the Iceberg and reading about being confident and professional.

Arthur G. Bahr
Social Instigator for...


Do what you love... and love will find you